Friday, June 17, 2011

Wrestling

We recently completed a 3 day staff retreat with TMFI. The subject matter was Strengthening the Soul of Your Leadership. Of the many lessons I learned during the sessions, the hardest was found during a activity dealing with solitude and hearing from God. After each of three readings of a passage in Numbers, we were asked to sit and be quiet before God for 2-3 minutes and listen for the answer to the question "What does God want me to do the next few days?" The words I was hearing from the Lord seemed to say "trust me". I preface the rest of this by saying that Kerry and I had been discussing our future plans, plans we did not want to give up. Later that day we were challenged about maintaining a Rhythm of Prayer and Action- Discerning and Doing the will of God. The first step in this was a prayer of indifference. This does not mean indifference to a situation , but after much prayer, indifference to the outcome because you trust God's will and goodness. A prayer of God's Will-nothing more, nothing less, nothing else. Wow! I was really struggling. I sat by myself in solitude wrestling with God. In fact, I wished for an actual angel to wrestle, like Jacob, so that I may have a little chance of keeping MY plans. After a long struggle I finally conceded to God and prayed, I trust you God, whatever happens is OK. Kerry reminded me of Proverbs 16:9, a verse she had been given the day before, "In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps." I am now at peace, regardless of how our future plans work out, I know it will be what God has planned for us. We will continue to serve Him however and wherever He calls, and hope to glorify Him in all we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment