Friday, July 1, 2011

keys


My most recent assignment at TMFI was a simple one, or so you would think. Make some keyholders(keychains inAmerican) for the 13 rooms in the training center. The rooms are all named after Tribes around the world, Maori, Inuits, Lakota, etc to name a few. The keyholders were to be made from wood, and I thought that to make them Tribal looking I would burn the names in with hot metal. So I started on the project which, in true Filipino fashion, turned out to be quite the job. Without hand tools I cut some 1x1 wood to length, then cut it in half lengthwise. This was followed by sanding, sanding, and more sanding. This got them smooth and comfortable feeling to the fingers, not only smooth but rounded on all angles. I then found a peice of wire to heat and burn the names in the wood. After trial and error I found that the only way get it hot enough was to heat the metal in the gas flame of the stovetop and brand it in. Following that was to drill(my only concession to modern convenience) a hole then sear the hole tosmooth it. After presenting the almost finished project to Mimi she responded "very nice Skeep, but we need 3 for each room, duplicates" So repeat the above process 26 more times. After approximately 1 hour for each keyholder (after varnish, sanding, and more varnish) the holders were complete.
As you can tell I had plenty of time to think as I worked on the project. I thought about what holds the keys to a heart. At different times of my life, and even different seasons through the years, various things have and still hold my heart. I, similar to what I see in my kids, had toys as keys for awhile.(Legos for Jackson, stuffed animals for Maia, Star Wars for me) Sports as a teen had their share, as well as girls. While dating and through marriage, Kerry has a big part, as well as the kids. In different seasons hunting, skiing, missions, and the Mountaineers all take their share. Some of these things are good, some are neither good nor bad, but all take time, thought, and some of my devotion. What I know is that the real keys to my heart should be held by God, that these other things are temporary, and may be satisfying or fun for awhile, but like the Star Wars toys, will be outgrown. Even activities such as missions, while good in themselves, should not take over the passion for God Himself. This I think is where the danger can lie for Christians. We work for the Lord, overextending ourselves in His name, but neglect the relationship we need with Him.
"Take delight in the Lord and he will give you your heart's desires."Psalms 37:4
Just be careful, if you are delighting in the Lord, your heart's desires may change.

No comments:

Post a Comment