Friday, May 28, 2010

Visions of prison

So, The other day I passed my TMFI inposed driving exam. If you have ever been to an Asian country you know that there are no driving rules, just organized chaos. Beng, Tribal Missions Director, had me drive to the market on Tuesday. It is a stressful and exhilerating experience, but at 5:30 AM there is not much traffic and pretty routine. Apparently I drove well enough that she deemed me able to be an errand boy for TMFI. Today Jeremy was flying out so we first went to the mall and got shaved at the barber shop. (That is not really relevant to the story but if you ever get the chance to have a professional shave I highly recommend it.) Anyway, after leaving the mall, we dropped off some friends at the market and headed to the airport through the traffic. This being my second drive in a few days my confidence was growing, passing through oncominig traffic, passing off the burm, dodging motorcycles, pedestrians, dogs, etc. The confidence lasted until I saw the uniformed officer standing along the road motion for me to pull over. I still felt relatively secure, I was armed with a $10 sheet of paper I got from AAA that said INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT in bold letters on the front. The officer walked up to the window and said something vaguely sounded like "you aren't wearing your safety belt". I quickly put it on and apologized. (He made no mention of the two people sitting on a 2x4 resting on the sides of the pickup I was driving.) He then asked for my drivers licence. I handed him the paper and he looked confused. He fiddled with it for awhile and and told me he would confiscate it. I decided to play dumb, which wasn't hard considering I couldn't understand more than 1 or 2 words he was saying. "OK" I replied not knowing what else to say. He gave me a sly smile and continued to talk, none of which I could understand. As Jun-Jun talked to the man my mind was going over the less desireable scenes from the Shawshank Redemption with little brown men doing bad things to me. He again looked at me and said "I will confiscate this". Again I said "OK" After a moment of silence he handed me my "licence" and we drove away. Looking back I think he wanted a bribe and my stupid "act" and my lack of concern for him taking my AAA "licence" did the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment