Thursday, June 3, 2010

Vacation Bible School

We just completed the the first ever TMFI VBS! Last week Mimi took Jackson & Maia trough the neighborhood inviting all 7-13 year olds to VBS. They thought the white kids might draw the crowd in! They expected 40. Our first day we had about 30 kids come in our target age group and about 10 kids between the ages of 2-6. We didn't want to turn anyone away so we left them stay. We also noticed that a lot of moms came and either stayed with their younger children or sat outside. Beng decided we'd have Skip & Chad (Miller) alternate days and speak with the moms while their kids were attending VBS. I had brought prizes and play money with me. We handed out money as rewards for memorizing verses, attendance, good behavior, participating, etc. The kids had fun and started inviting friends. Everyday we had more kids. Their was also the theory that kids heard we were handing out money & prizes and wanted some, too. Whatever it was, we grew. By the end of the week we had 25 kids between 2-6 and 48 kids between the ages of 7-13. PTL!
Belle and I were in charge of crafts. Being on a tight budget, we didn't have many extra crafts-if any. On more than one day we were scrambling to make more! On our last day, we made a key chain with a cross and beads with a kit I had brought with me. We had one left over! The beads on were a wordless tool to tell the gospel story. I told the kids about salvation as we assembled the key chain. It was probably the first time many of the kids had been presented with the gospel.
The redeeming of money for prizes was a big hit. The prizes we had left over we gave out to the kids who could say a memory verse. The kids crowded around, trying to be the first to win more prizes! Most of the prizes were school supply type items: pens, pencils, scissors, ruler, erasers, etc. I'm glad that's the types of things we had because one girl told me what her mom had told her. "Don't get any toys, get school supplies." I think for many the basic school supplies are luxury items! Most of the leftover prizes were the toy items: jump ropes, water colors, markers, colored pencils, etc.
The last day we had a graduation ceremony. Most of the kids got some kind of reward: good attendance, good listener, good at memory verses, most cooperative, etc. Lots a rewards. The mothers were invited to attend. They were proud of their kids as they received rewards. I was also the graduation speaker, again, low budget event. I presented Christ to the moms as well. We think it was the first time any of the mothers had heard that as well.
Overall, it was a great week! The kids made a few new friends. Jackson told me one of the boys might come up to play tomorrow. I hope so. Maybe more language will rub off on the kids. We are all learning a few words. My problem is, I can't remember them! They group letters together that we don't group to together in English. It makes it difficult to remember and pronounce! I was going to say good afternoon in Cebuano, but, well, I can't spell it!
Tonight is a good bye party for Chad. We're having a bonfire and a bar-b-que. Can't wait!

1 comment: